A 24-year-old woman was arrested after her 14-month-old stopped breathing after ingesting methadone. The child was rushed to the hospital. According to WTSP.com, the incident happened sometime on Saturday.
One of the mother's friends said, "He wasn't breathing as much as he should and his lips were purple. She's really good with her kids. She don't even so much as slap her kid on the hand." This friend feels that this was a freak accident, that could have happened to anyone.
Police see it differently, though. They have accused the stay-at-home mom with child neglect and violation of probation on a drug charge. They believe the mother knew her child had ingested methadone and did nothing about it for several hours.
Authorities have not yet released why this mother had methadone in her home, but the drug is generally used to treat opiate addiction.
The mother has been arrested on three drug charges since 2009.
The little boy is doing much better. He is eating and drinking normally, and no longer needs a tube in his throat. The child has one sibling, who lives with their grandmother.