Mother Is Dead After Attacking Her Child While High on Bath Salts

on Friday, 15 June 2012. Posted in Breaking News, Bath Salts

bath salts death

A Madison, allegedly high on bath salts, is dead after assaulting her child and receiving a Taser shock, while struggling with police. According to, Tuesday evening troopers were called to an apartment with reports of a woman assaulting a three-year-old.

While police were responding, several follow-up reports claim that the woman was punching and choking the child, and subsequently began attacking a neighbor. When police arrived they found a 35-year-old woman apparently under the influence of bath salts. When Trooper Christopher Budlong tried to arrest the woman, she became "violently combative." As she resisted attempts to be handcuffed, she "growled" at police. Police first used pepper-spray, but it had no effect. Police then employed the Taser, which enabled him to cuff the combative woman.

After she was taken into custody, this mother went into cardiac arrest. She was taken to the hospital by ambulance, where she later died. This woman had a history of using bath salts, but the autopsy could not pinpoint the exact cause of death. It could take several weeks for toxicology reports. State Police believe they were justified in using the Taser.

On Wednesday morning, witnesses recounted the previous night. One man saw the woman come out the rear exit of her apartment with the three-year-old boy in her arms. She tumbled down the stairs, holding onto her son. She then began assaulting the child and yelling incoherently. At one point, she was sitting on the pavement spinning and laughing as she was hurting the child. The boy's father intervened, taking the child and then the woman went after a neighbor, chasing her into her apartment where she attacked her. Then, the woman went back into the parking lot where she stripped off all her clothes and threatened people passing by. Next, she went back into her apartment, emerging with a pit bull in her arms. She tumbled down the stairs with the dog, injuring the animal. Police asked for her to let go of the dog, and pepper-sprayed her when she did not respond.

Troopers warned her that she would be tased if she did not let go of the dog. After the woman was tased and handcuffed, a neighbor informed troopers that she had undergone surgery to put stents in her heart just two days earlier. The child was taken to the hospital where he was treated for minor injuries and released to family members. Troop D commander Major Rodney Campbell confirmed that the woman was high on bath salts and was not coherent at the time of her death. Witnesses believe the police were justified in using the Taser.

Comment Via Facebook

Looking for addiction treatment? Reach out today and learn more about our 24/7 nationwide Referral service and how we accept all insurance.