Bath Salts Could Cause Flesh-Eating Bacteria
A 34 year-old New Orleans woman lost her arm this summer after shooting bath salts. She originally went to the hospital for pain and swelling in her forearm.
The doctor diagnosed a skin infection and put her on intravenous antibiotics. The symptoms improved, at first, but then her condition worsened.
She admitted that she had intravenously shot bath salts several days earlier. Doctors discovered a flesh-eating bacteria under her skin. The bacteria spread so quickly that doctors could see healthy tissue dying right before their eyes.
In order to save her life, doctors amputated her arm and shoulder. The doctor in charge of the case warns emergency room doctors that bath salts could be the cause of this flesh-eating bacteria. Read more here. And read a more scientific story in a medical journal.
Picture courtesy of OrthoSuperSite.