Coca-Cola addiction may have contributed to the death of a 30-year-old New Zealand woman. According to NewJerseyNewsRoom.com, her addiction to Coke may have been a factor in her death, but she also smoked about 30 cigarettes a day. She also had poor nutrition habits.
But she drank an obscene amount of Coca-Cola. CBS News reports that she drank between 2.1 and 2.6 gallons of the soft drink each day. I did the math, and that is between four and five bottles...two liter bottles!
She collapsed one morning after helping her children get ready for school. Her partner called emergency services and tried mouth-to-mouth, but was unable to revive her. It was determined that she died from cardiac arrhythmia, which is usually not a life threading condition. Cardiac arrhythmia is when electrical impulses in your heart that coordinate your heartbeats don't work properly, causing your heart to beat too fast, too slow, or irregularly.
Yahoo News! reported that the woman also had high blood pressure, was a smoker, and made other poor health decisions, including poor eating habits. Pathologist Dan Mornin testified that the woman likely suffered from hypokalemia (low potassium levels), which could have been caused by her overall poor nutrition, including unusually high levels of Coke consumption. Coca-Cola defended its product, responding that "grossly excessive ingestion of any food product, including water," can lead to health problems.
- Item Tag: Coca-Cola