Nineteen year United Kingdom citizen, Robbie Millward, and son of world famous rugby coach, Ian Milford died after he experimented with the drug cocaine .
Reports on the athlete’s death indicate that after he ingested the cocaine over a period two evenings, he experienced his first seizure and eventually suffered a heart attack that led to his death.
Upon returning home from shopping, Robbies’ 51 year old mother found her otherwise healthy and very fit athletic teenage son unconscious in their family home. Due to the fact that she is a trained professional nurse she immediately checked his pupils and administered CPR to her son before she subsequently called paramedics to arrive.
Although paramedics did arrive to transport the lifeless teenager to the local hospital he was pronounced dead upon arrival of the hospital.
In the meantime, toxicology evaluations of Milward’s body divulged that cocaine was indeed found in the teen’s system. Upon an autopsy, coroner’s personnel discovered that Milward’s heart was inflamed and scarred, allegedly due to the fact that he had consumed cocaine during a two evening period of experimentation.
Although close to his parents, Milward’s mother exclaimed in a courtroom, while holding the hands of family and friends, that she was unaware that her now-deceased son had used drugs.
Meanwhile, Milward’s father, a professional rugby coach, was away in France for work when he learned that his son had died.
Mrs. Millward went on to express her intent to do all she can to prevent someone else’s son from repeating the same mistake of experimenting with cocaine that her son has made. She emphasized speaking to children and young adults about the dangers of drug use. And although she did speak to her son about the dangers of cocaine before he denied using cocaine, and before his death, she still thinks that talking to children about drug abstinence is worthwhile.
Dr. Simon Suvarna, a consultant pathologist, explained that cocaine and other similar types of drugs often result in the user experiencing unwanted side-effects that he is often not even aware of. A common side effect and one that Robbie seems to have experienced was an overworked heart, which explains the inflammation and scarring of his heart.
Once the heart is damaged in this manner it does not heal itself, according to Dr. Suvarna. In fact, the result is further and chronic damage.
In conclusion, the take-home message is that light experimentation with drugs or consumption of a small amount of drugs does not mean it is safe. Using small quantities is not safe, abstinence is safe.
If you or anyone that you know is experiencing problems with cocaine addiction, please call us now.
Original article: www.dailymail.co.uk
Photo Courtesy of Cavendish Press.
- Item Tag: cocaine