A Montana man was charged with animal cruelty when his 20 pound dog was found so intoxicated it couldn’t stand up. According to Chicago Sun-Times , the police responded to a report of an intoxicated dog at a bar.
When officers arrived on the scene, they found a Pomeranian that could not walk. Court records say that a drunk person, who claimed half ownership of the dog, said Todd Harold Schrier gave the dog a “to-go cup of Vodka.” The bar owner told the local newspaper that the dog consumed the liquor in the vehicle, not inside the bar. Furthermore, he claims the staff cared for the dog and called police.
The police took the dog to a vet, who determined his blood alcohol level to be 0.348. The vet, who had been practicing for 20 years, had never seen a dog with acute alcohol poisoning. She said she had seen dogs who ate Jello shots, or lapped up some beer at a party, but she had never seen such an acute intentional intoxication. The dog spent days in the hospital and is now being cared for by the Humane Society, pending the outcome of the case.
Apparently, the police caught up with Schrier again at another bar later that night, where he was given a drug charge when police found a bag of hydrocodone pills outside a bar where he was smoking.